Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Back to normal.

Order has once again been restored to our household. Well, not really order per se, but at least a sense of normalcy. Complete and total order is probably a little too much to ask for.

Don’t you love how you lower your standards when you have children?

Normal around our house is loud voices. Normal is doors opening and closing with kids going outside and then back in again a few minutes later and then back out again. Normal is “I’m hungry,” about five minutes after a meal is finished. Normal is smells I can't identify.

Normal is chaos. And I’m okay with a little chaos.

Charlie and Henry returned yesterday from having spent the long, 3-day Fourth of July weekend at my parent’s house 200 miles away. I’ve never been away from any of our kids for more than 24 hours, so I was a little nervous that I would miss them so terribly that I would find myself in a catatonic stupor of depression and worry so deep that I wouldn’t emerge from it until they came back home.

Okay, well maybe that’s a little dramatic. But I do miss my guys sometimes.

Fortunately for Bill, George and Annabel, I was okay. In fact, it was allllll good around here this weekend. All good.

I forgot how easy it is to do things and go places with just two kids. There’s two of us and two of them. We went out to eat a few times, ran errands, and just hung out around the house with minimal stress. I was able to relax without having to feel like a constant referee. George and Annabel liked having us to themselves for a few days and I think that was important.

Charlie and Henry also felt like big guys, off on their own adventure. They bragged of going for ice cream twice in one day, staying up late, and generally being spoiled by their grandparents.

But now they are back home, and it’s back to reality.

I gotta say, I like reality. I like, no I love, having four kids. I don't crave a sensible, orderly, unchaotic existence. I mean, what kind of boring day is it unless I have to plunge a huge poo or a toy truck out of the toilet? Or to yell at the kids to stay by my shopping cart as we wander the aisles of the grocery store? Or to feel like my ears are actually going to start bleeding from the noise level in our house? Or to wonder how the heck I'm going to get that unidentified food stain out of the carpet? What kind of day is that? A boring day, indeed.

Charlie and Henry came through the front door yesterday afternoon bursting with energy and hugs and kisses for us. Absence made their hearts grow fonder. Of Bill and I.

In true form, within twenty minutes, my kids were complaining of hunger and boredom.

Aaaaaaand we’re back to normal.

All is right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.