Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Laughter and inspiration on the road.

I am in my minivan all day long. I drive my kids 10 miles to Catholic school and 10 miles back home again. I'm not complaining, because it's our choice. But it gets a little boring at times, especially when I have to hear "the Bee Movie" or the "Madagascar" DVD on a continuous repeat. By the way, I've never actually seen either of these movies, but I know them almost entirely by heart.

Word for word.

Anyhoo, sometime today in my 800-mile trek around town, I was behind another minivan with a great bumper sticker. I had never read this quote before, and I thought I'd share it with you because it's now one of my favorites.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass

Just let that sink in for a second.

Don't you love it?

I'm going to remind myself of this quote at those times when I'm the "mean mommy" and I take away the video games, or I shut off the TV. Or I don't let them play with that friend that makes bad choices. Or I make them read for that extra 15 minutes. It's for their own good, right?

Of course, it gave me a little inspiration for the day.

But later, I was behind a pick-up truck that had an interesting bumper sticker.

It said, "My heart is in the U.P. but my ass is stuck right here."

My day can be so monotonous that I'll take a laugh wherever I can find it. Even if it's on the back of a rusty old truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.