Wednesday, June 23, 2010

You know it's baseball season when...

Ahhh...the joys of summer.

You know it's baseball season when you find one of these on your kitchen table.



Really? On my kitchen table? Where we eat? Food?

Seriously.

If you have no idea what the above picture is, then you must not have a boy.

Boys.

Please tell me this is universal and my boys are not the only ones in the world with this disgusting habit.

As you may recall, I have five sisters and ZERO brothers, so all of these boy details are still relatively new to me. I am learning more every day. In fact, I wrote about this same issue right around the same time last year, so clearly, it's not going away.

Houston, we have a problem.

Perhaps I am the disgusting one for taking a picture of it. Perhaps you find a picture of a protective cup tasteless and crass. But this job is sometimes tasteless and crass. And let's face it. You don't always come to this blog for the classy talk, now do you? You come here to relate.

Please tell me you can relate to this.

We keep it real here, and by real, I mean I take pictures of cups on the kitchen table. Not the kind you drink from, of course.

I promise you, this is exactly as I found it. This photograph is so much better than having to paint a picture for you with words. With one click, a protective cup became a Kodak moment.

Yep, this is where I found it.

It was right here.

Just chillin' on my kitchen table.

Where we eat our meals.

Over the last decade as a mother, I have found that in order to maintain my sanity, I have lowered my standards and expectations a bit for what I want in a clean house. I'm okay with a little clutter, and yes, I realize that disarray is part of the job.

But ew, you guys.

Ewww.

I'm just trying to raise civilized human beings.

Ironically, my boys usually run through the house before their baseball games to search for their protective gear because it is missing. And why can't they find it? Why is it not in their drawer where it's supposed to be?

That's a good question, isn't it?

The other day, one of my sons told me rather indignantly that someone "came into our house and stole his cup" when he searched everywhere and couldn't find it.

Let that sink in for a second.

Yeah. Someone STOLE his cup, but decided to leave the rest of our valuables alone.

Sneaky robber.

Once again, I remind myself that if this is my biggest complaint in this job, then life is pretty good.

It could be worse. I could have found it in the silverware drawer.

Now that would be gross.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, your boys are normal. I've got four. Ain't it a joy?
    When my brother was eight he played baseball and thought that the cup was to pee in so you wouldn't have to leave the game to go to the bathroom. At least you haven't had to clean up that kind of mess, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bethany, I have had to clean up that kind of a mess, unfortunately! :) Boys always keep it interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog Clare! My boys are baseball fanatics, it is literally all they do, but since they aren't on a team we haven't dealt with this issue yet, but thanks for the heads up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't entered the age of cup-hood yet, but this is just a glimpse into my horrifying future. Ewwww.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have 2 boys (12 and 10 yrs old) and they are each in a rec league and a travel league! We are always on the go in the summer with baseball between 4 leagues!! Our 10 yr old has figured out I am disgusted by a cup and now finds it pretty funny to tell me how sweaty his cup is after the game! Nothing has topped us going to dinner after a tournament and when I went to pull my wallet out of my rather large purse...out comes a CUP!!!

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.