Friday, September 10, 2010

I've been holding out on you.

I have been meaning to write this post for a long time. I feel I owe it to the bloggers who make me smile, or think, or laugh, or cry each week.

As you may know, I started this blog about 18 months ago, and it has been one of my favorite hobbies, and one of my most enjoyable creative outlets. Besides...ahem...scrubbing the toilets around here, of course. I am beyond grateful to all of you who have ever read, or commented, or "liked" it on Facebook, or passed it on to a friend, because it makes me feel like I'm not talking to a wall.

I mean, really, when you have kids, it's like talking to a wall anyway, and you are ignored on a daily basis, so I truly appreciate not being ignored on my blog. Snaps, hugs, and smooches to you all.

But I have been holding out on you, so shame on me.

There are so many wonderful bloggers in the blogosphere that I read weekly, and I realized that I have never shared who they are with any of you. Shame, shame. Because these are really great writers, y'all.

Without further ado, I introduce you to...

  • Janet, author of Muffintopmommy. Janet is an old college friend of my sister's, but thankfully, through our shared love of writing, we have become good friends. Unfortunately, she lives on the East Coast, and I live in the Midwest, so we can't ever meet for coffee and laughs, which I so wish we could. However, we do trade almost-daily emails about blogging, our kids, the things that drive us crazy, celebrity gossip, and of course, most importantly, our shared like for the show, "The Real Housewives of New Jersey". People, it's all about priorities. If only Janet and I could turn our emails into a blog. Unfortunately, they're not totally G-rated and appropriate, and I wouldn't want to blow my cover as a mostly wholesome blogger. So yeah. But Janet will, quite simply, crack. you. up. Trust me on this one. I wouldn't lie to you.
  • Michelle, author of Peas Out Mama. I first "met" Michelle's blog at the recommendation of Janet, because they are old friends. However, I stayed and continued to read because she is a good writer, and she's funny. She talks about adventures of raising her one-year old son, "Boo", and navigating motherhood. I also love her latest feature, "This Week in Absurdity", because, yo, the world is absurd sometimes, and yo, it's about time somebody said so.
  • Jennifer, author of These Are Days. I met Jennifer at the Erma Bombeck Writer's Conference I attended in April. Jennifer has such a sweet writing style and she just pulls you in with her narrative. She just "gets" the sweetness of motherhood and life. It is clear that she loves her family, and she loves her hometown of Austin, Texas, and she conveys that so well through her writing. Reading her blog is like chatting with an old friend over a cup of coffee. Or in my case, since I hate coffee, make that Diet Coke.
  • Nichole, author of in these small moments. I discovered Nichole's blog through Twitter several weeks ago, and already, I am hooked. Speaking of someone who "gets" it, it's Nichole. As the mother of two children, she focuses on the little moments in the everyday that make up a life, and I love that. The complaints about motherhood are so easy to point out, but think it is much harder to describe what we truly love about this job, and how fleeting it all is. Nichole's blog is, in a word, charming. And cozy. I know that's two words, but I can't resist.
  • Sue, author of The Desperate Housemommy. Sue is a former elementary school teacher. Just like me! She is a stay-at-home mom. Just like me! She has 3 kids. Just like me! (plus one for me, of course) She blogs. Just like me! We have never met, but I knew that I had found a kindred blogger when she wrote in an entry not too long ago entitled, "Dear Summer: An Open Letter," that, "If I hear Katy Perry's 'California Gurls' on the radio one more time, I shall scream." Just like me!
  • Kelley, author of Kelley's Breakroom. I discovered Kelley's blog when Desperate Housemommy Sue sweetly wrote a review of bloggers she enjoys, and she mentioned our blogs. Kelley is a proud mother of two boys, but her blog is about more than just that. It's so random and funny, that, as the name implies, you will feel like you're sitting in the breakroom with her and shooting the breeze, as she makes you snort with laughter at her perspective.
  • Kristen, author of A Rock In My Pocket. I stumbled across Kristen's blog one day when another blogger had it on her blogroll, and I am now a faithful reader. Besides being a mother to 3 girls, Kristen is also a professional writer. She is hilarious and random and snarky, which are all awesome qualities in writer, as far as I am concerned. I wondered about the quirky title of her blog, until I read her explanation. Love it.
There are so many more bloggers that I would love to mention, and I will another day. But get started on this group, and I'm sure you'll find something that floats your boat.

Yeah, I just said, "floats your boat." I went there.

Enjoy. Happy Weekend to you.

7 comments:

  1. Well, aren't you the sweetest thang ev-ah? Thanks for the shout-out...and by the way, I never knew that you're a former teacher (like me!) or that you live in the midwest (like me!) The similarities keep piling up...funny! Enjoy this glorious midwestern weekend...buh-bye, summa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Clare, thanks so much! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm honored to get the official shout out....and be in the company of other fab bloggers. Can't wait to check out the ones I haven't seen before! And I do lament that we can't meet up for coffee klatching. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare!!! I am completely thrilled, delighted and blown-away by being on this list! Really, it has just made my day, NAY my week. Not only the kind words from you that mean the world to me but also being put in this group of women, some of whom I haven't even known about until now. Rest assured, I will be reading them now.
    This really has put a huge, huge smile on my face. Thank you thank you. I'll meet you for a virtual coffee/diet coke date anytime.
    xoxo
    Jennifer
    @thesearedays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add me to the "I'm just flattered to be nominated" crowd. Plus now I can check out some of these other ladies' blogs.

    Wait. You don't enjoy scrubbing toilets? I don't understand.

    Thanks again and happy weekending!

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all deserve the shout-out, because you are such talented writers!

    And Kristen...with 3 boys and 1 girl, I am perpetually scrubbing toilet. Ugh. I might as well smile while doing it, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Clare! Some newbies to read!

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.