Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Word up Wednesday.

So many bloggers do "Wordless Wednesday" posts, and while I love the posts and I love the concept, I just don't think I can go all wordless on you. After all, I really like words. Words are fun. Remember? Scrabble is my jam. 

I like words so much that I lost my voice for about 5 days straight over the last week, and it just started to return this morning. Several days ago, I started to get hoarse as a result of a head cold, and then, because I enjoy talking so much, I lost my voice. But did that stop me? No. Instead of resting my vocal cords, I just kept talking.

I know, I know. SHUT UP, WOMAN, AND REST YOUR VOICE.

Nope. It's not like I'll let a silly little thing like not having a voice stop me from talking.

I digress.

This morning when I drove the kids to school, my car said that it was 29 degrees.

2-9, yo.

I live in the Midwest, so I don't know why I'm always shocked when it gets really cold again. Nevertheless, it always does, and I love the Midwest; therefore, I deal with the cold happily.

Dare I say I like cold weather? Because I do. Not all the time, but it's November. It's supposed to be cold. And who doesn't love a big, chunky, warm, cozy sweater in November?

Yeah. Yeah. I know you want to pelt me with your mittens and hats and snow boots for waxing all poetic about cold weather.

But my children refuse to accept that it is cold outside, so I spent the wee hours of this morning arguing with my shorties that YES, you have to wear a coat to school. YES, you should zip up said coat. And NO, a short-sleeved shirt and a thin sweatshirt is not appropriate for the drive to school.

Hypothermia ain't hip, kiddos.

You know, if they just accepted the fact that I am the all-knowing around here, things would run a lot smoother on a daily basis.

Needless to say, there was plenty of whining and maybe even a few tears, and stomping-of-feet, and an almost-forgotten lunch box and school project, and more whining before we got out the door this morning. By the time I wished them a, "Love you! Have a great day!" as the minivan doors slid open and they ran out towards the school doors, I was a bit frazzled, to say the least.

And what makes the frazzles go away on a cold, November morning at 8:15 a.m.?

Why a Target run, of course.

Since you are already well aware that Target is one of my happy places, I'll save you my usual gushing. But if I loves me some Target on a random day of the week, just imagine how much I love Target in November and December.

**cues chorus of angels**

Because Target at Christmastime?

I have no words. It's just that good.

So, after having used WAY too many words and tangents to get to the point of what I'll now just call my Word Up Wednesday, here's what made me happy today.


I can't tell you what made me happier. A cup of salted caramel hot chocolate from the Starbucks located INSIDE of my Target store, (Target and Starbucks. A perfect marriage.) or the fact that they put my hot chocolate in a one of Starbucks signature red Christmas cups.

Squee.

I had a difficult time prying my daughter away from this.


But it's not like I tried that hard. I'm a huge sucker for Christmas tunes. Even if it is only November 3.

Happy Wednesday.

Whether it's hot, cold, rainy or sunny where you live, or your sweethearts are having a whiny day or a well-behaved day, may you find happiness in the little things.

3 comments:

  1. Half my boys forgot their coat today, yesterday one of them was running around in a TANK TOP, one of my boys asked to listen to Christmas music on the way to school, actually dug the cd out and put it in before I got there with my to go cup of coffee to run them to school. So, i totally got your Word Up Wednesday today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, what is it with boys and them always being so hot? I deal with it all winter, so I might as well get used to it! I shudder to think of the day in the not-so-distant future (meaning, probably next week) that they have to wear their puffy winter coats to school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare- I just wish Starbucks carried something beyond soy! Grrr. I do miss being kidless wandering Target with their Egg Nog Latte, but those days, are behind me due to all these allergies!

    Thanks for having me live vicariously momentarily!

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.