Friday, December 31, 2010

What a year.

I had to squeeze one last blog post in for 2010.

I'll bet you thought I had shut my yap for good this year, but no such luck.

My last post of the year is inspired by a similar one written by Nichole on her blog, in these small moments. I have mentioned her blog before and how wonderful it is, but if you haven't had a chance to read Nichole's endearing perspective on life and motherhood, then head on over there to check it out.

Go on. Git.

Wait. You can stay and finish reading my blog entry first, of course.

It has been a wonderful year for our family, but it has not been without challenges and struggles. Such, as they say, is life. And life is good, and precious and wonderful, and so very, very fleeting, so we take the good with the bad and keep plowing forward. Thankfully, I have this blog as an outlet to record the trials, tribulations, and lessons learned along the way.

Because these children are the four greatest teachers I have ever known.

I have been blogging since April 2009, but this is my first full year of writing, month after month, and I initially wondered if it was possible. Would I be able to find the time? Would I find enough topics on which to wax poetic? Would people read? Would the things I write about my beloved children force them to seek expensive therapy one day in the distant future?

I come in peace. I strive to keep it real, while granting my shorties a modicum of privacy.

But y'all? If they do something gross and hilarious, I promise I will tell you about it.

At the risk of sounding a bit narcissistic, I have compiled a "Best of" list of a few of my favorite blog entries of the past year. I know, I know. Only superstars, athletes, and top-rated sitcoms are allowed to compile, "Best of" moments, but this mommy blogger from the Midwest wants to do the same.

And it's my blog, so bear with me.

In January, I fell in love, and much like Beyonce, I had a message for all the single ladies of the world. Luckily, Bill did not get jealous once he met the object of my affections. Also in January, I wrote a love letter to my husband about toilet paper. Yes, toilet paper. I challenge you to read it and NOT be able to relate. I'm sure you will.

In February, I learned that I am not Duff Goldman. Duff Goldman is talented and one-of-a-kind, and I am not him, nor will I ever attempt to imitate his talents in the future. If I do? I will seriously lower my expectations.

In March, I ran into a couple of young ladies at Target who reminded me that Babies are like so totally awesome. Like totally. Ahhhh....to be young and naive once again.

In April, BlogHer took notice of one of my entries, Dear Facebook, and syndicated it. In case you were wondering? Syndicated mommies still have to do the laundry, make lunches, and clean up vomit. It's an awesome feeling, but trying to shout to your kids, "LISTEN UP! I'M SYNDICATED NOW AND YOU BEST DO AS I SAY!!!" doesn't get you very far. Believe me, I have tried.

In May, Mother's Day brought out my sappy side, and I gave you a sneak peek of my relationship with my mother-in-law.

In June, a pair of dirty, disgusting tennis shoes made me cry. In a really good way.

In July, I described how I am sometimes overwhelmed by "mom guilt". But really, what mother isn't at times?

In August, we attended a family wedding, and a particular situation with my husband had me evaluating my own marriage, and what it means to me. As expected, I received quite a bit of response from you, my readers, on the Facebook page for this blog. I also included a rare photo of Bill and I.

In September, I realized that with parenting, you do your best, try your hardest, and hope for outstanding results. But you never really know how the whole thing will turn out, do you?

In October, I lost a beloved member of my family. I will never forget her.

In November, I discovered that one of my sons has a sweet tooth. Of course, I already knew this, but this sweet tooth? Is much worse than I thought.

In December, we gained a new member of the family. Kind of. Whatever you want to call him, call him adorable. And mischievous.

Onward to 2011. Wishing all good things to you!

2 comments:

  1. I really love this post! What a great idea to reflect back over the past blogging year. How awesome that you were syndicated! Look at you!I am so glad you have kept up with your blog. I really enjoy reading it and vow to be a better follower in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! I peeked back at a few of the links...the BlogHer/Facebook/Syndication one as well as the Love Letter/Toilet Paper One. You know...ones that you wrote before I "met" you...before we came homies...or homettes...whateves. Good stuff...and, as usual, I TOTALLY got where you were coming from. Happy 2011 to you!

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.