Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Word Up Wednesday - elf style.

Meet Christopher.


He is an elf that sits on our shelf. Hence, his other moniker is, "The Elf on the Shelf".

Christopher came to our home along with the oh-so-adorable-I-wish-I-would-have-thought-of-it-myself book, "The Elf on the Shelf," written by the mother-and-daughter team of Carol Aebersold and Chanda Bell.

I think Christopher bears a striking resemblance to Gilly, the mischievous Saturday Night Live character played by Kristen Wiig.


No? Just me? You don't see it with that smile? Not even if you squint a little bit?

Don't let Christopher's innocent smile fool you. He's a total snitch. He watches these kids and then reports back to Santa if they have been naughty or nice. Believe me when I say that he may be less than a foot long, but his watchful eye encourages my kids to walk the straight and narrow.

I need all the help I can get.

Christopher is magic, and if children touch him, his magic vanishes. Forever and ever.

And ever.

Now, who would want to be responsible for making an elf's magic disappear? Not any child of mine, that's for sure. Christopher means business.

Dude, I'm talking biz. ness. Don't mess with Christopher, or what's that you see?

Your name at the top of Santa's naughty list.

While he is busy sitting on our shelf during the day watching the goings-on of our home full of children, at night, it is a different story.

He parties heartily.

As a result, every morning, our children must search all over this house in order to find his elf self. One recent morning, we caught him swinging from our kitchen chandelier.


The next day, upon awakening from their peaceful slumber, my children found that Christopher had knocked over a small tree in our front hall, and was riding it, all horsey-style.


Giddy-yup, my North Pole friend.

Another day, he decided to sneak into our pantry for a snack of Goldfish crackers.


The nerve. It was at that moment that my children decided, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Christopher had to have done this, because would the Mom that they know and love purposely spill crackers and then not clean them up again?

Not likely. As if.

Sometimes he sets a good example, like Tuesday morning, when we found him reading.


In fact, he loves to read. This morning he was reading our Christmas cards.


Stay in school, kids. Read. Reading is good. All the cool kids do it. Christopher does it.

Perhaps his most brilliant moment occurred Sunday night, and we discovered it Monday morning. Monday was the Feast of St. Nicholas, and our children left their shoes out overnight, by the Christmas tree, in hopes that St. Nicholas would fill them with treats, which he did.


Do you see that little speck of red on the floor next to Christopher? He was sitting high up on his shelf when our family went to sleep Sunday night, but somehow he got into the construction paper, scissors, cotton balls and glue and made himself a shoe to put out for St. Nicholas, lest he was left out of the fun.

That's right. HE MADE HIMSELF A SHOE. A dapper little red loafer, I might add, with cotton ball trim.

Christian Louboutain what? Jimmy Choo who?

Crafty little bugger.

Don't believe me? See it for yourself, complete with a chocolate chip that St. Nicholas dropped inside the shoe for him.


Because an elf gets hungry, you know.

The best part about Christopher?

He keeps magic alive, especially in the hearts of a couple of my starting-to-doubt-ers during this most magical time of the year. He adds a piece of joy to an already joyful season.

And for that I thank him.

7 comments:

  1. I gotta say, your Christopher is a lot more crafty than our Alfred. Alfred likes to fly high around here--he never gets down low on the toddler level for he surely realizes someone would get all grabby with him, and poof! The magic would die. Too funny, btw, about Kristen Wiig---Y to the E to the S---you nailed it. He's a ringer for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo laughing out loud over that red loafer!! Haaaa!! Okay, your Elf is so creative. I'm totally stealing these ideas and making our elf, Benji, DO stuff around the house. He usually just hangs on something like an idiot...or sits inside a candle. Lame. Tonight, he's EATING GOLDFISH CRACKERS, DAGNABBIT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell my sister about the reading a book...very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! This house needs an Elf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your elf is way more adventurous than ours. Thanks for the new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an elf from the late '60s that looks just like your elf! I never thought of unfolding his legs though! ;-) What a funny blog.

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.