Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Word Up Wednesday: Grumpy Style.

I really hate to be one of those people that complains about the weather.

I really do.

But today, I just can't help myself.

As I stepped out my front door this afternoon, I was greeted by this.

Snow.

On March 30.

About two inches of snow.

On March 30.

Yuck.

I get it. Here in the Midwest, snow happens. Quite often, to be exact. But I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, so I plow through the long, harsh winters, all the while telling myself that it will soon be over. After all, as a reward for putting up with the Midwestern Winter, we are rewarded with beautiful Spring weather, splendid Summers, and glorious Autumns.

It's not that I don't love me some snow, because I do.

Just not on March 30.

A December snow? Picture perfect.

A January snow? Bring it, along with a snow day for the kids.

A February snow? Meh. I'll suffer through it.

A March snow? Oh no she dih-n't.

Over the past few weeks, Spring has teased us. She has played it coy by giving us more than a few sunny days with temperatures in the 60s and **gasp** even the 70s.

Much like Ke$ha, I greeted the gorgeous Spring weather by walking around with a pedicure on my toes, toes.

I said hello to my flip-flops and ballet flats like we were old friends who have been separated for years.

Reunited and it feels so good.

Today, however, my feet are firmly encased in thick, warm, cozy socks, with nary a flip or a flop in sight, and I am fervently trying to silence my inner grump.

It does me no good to wish the days away.

I remind myself of the terminal cancer patient who would love to see just one more snowfall.

I remind myself of the American soldiers sweating in the hot desert sun at this very moment, who would love nothing more than to sled down a frozen, snowy hill.

I remind myself that it's just weather, and weather, much like life, can change in the blink of an eye.

And with that, my inner grump shuts the crap up.

Because it's just snow.

Snow.

On March 30.

Yuck.

2 comments:

  1. I live in Ohio. It was 70 last week and now it's 24. I blame Al Gore for all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Virginia it was 80 last week; three days ago we've had to break out the fire wood and put the wood stove back on again.

    I'm not above some complaining Claire this stinks big time i want some sun NOWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.