Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Yum. Driveway Cookies.

It is the first official day of summer vacation, and with temperatures forecasted in the 90s with heat indexes in the 100s, baby it's hot outside.

Really hot.

Not that I'm complaining.

Whenever I start to sweat or overheat, and I think, "Ugh. I just can't deal," I remind myself that less than a month ago I was wearing a sweater and jeans, and shivering and cursing Mother Nature for the diva that she is.

Because I loves me some summer something fierce.

The lazy days stretch before us, sunny, warm and seemingly endless, beckoning us with possibilities of fun to be had.

Endless possibilities.

Here it is, not even lunchtime on the first day, and I have yet to hear one of my shorties complain that he or she is bored.

As Martha would say, that's a good thing.

My oldest child had his braces removed from his teeth this morning, and his fondest desire is a piece of corn on the cob, followed by a huge piece of Hubba Bubba, which have both been off limits to him for the better part of a year.

Yes, friends, the possibilities are endless.

Just when I think that I am one step ahead of my shorties, and I am onto all of their tricks, they remind me which one of us is the chump. Because I walked out my door this morning, ready for the orthodontist appointment, loaded the kids into the minivan, opened the garage door, and saw this.


Earlier this morning, my boys smeared the remnants of a carton of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream onto the hot, black, asphalt that is our driveway just to see if they could bake up a batch of yummy goodness.

Because it's so hot today that why shouldn't we smear cookie dough all over the driveway just to see whether or not it will bake and become something that is somewhat edible?

My best guess is N-to-the-O.

But I am not a shortie. I am a jaded adult who just thinks, "Gross. Cookie dough on the driveway. And not just any old cookie dough. Expensive, don't-be-wasting-it, cookie dough."

I ask, "Why?" and my shorties ask, "Why not?"

Schooled again.

Mrs. Fields? You best be running scared right about now.

Summer is off to a great start. Phineas and Ferb would be proud.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's so important to let them ask "Why not?" I need to do that more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always teach them make dinner ... when my family is. Out during what will be mealtime at the river, lake or beach, we make hotdogs with the heat of the day. Stick the cold dogs in buns, stick the filled buns back in the bun bag, and seal. They work OK in a stroller basket, but best if left in a sealed car on the dashboard lol. And who knows ... maybe fritattas are possible also ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when you DO visit the old stomping grounds? Please bring the children. They will have scads of fun together baking up all sorts of concoctions on pavement. This I know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We roll with Phineas and Ferb, too.

    Motherhood is better that way, isn't it?

    Enjoy having your shorties close by.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Can we talk? Don't be shy. I'd love to hear what you have to say.